Monday, February 22, 2010

New addition to the family!


Meet Misty! Misty is a 10 year old Border Collie. She has been a hard working girl all her life and it has come time that she slow down some.
Where she was living there were lots of sheep and moving from on pasture to another sometimes was 2 miles. Her last mom thought that it was time for her to goto a new place. Its a good thing I started thinking about finding a dog here to help us out with our sheep. I hope that we can give her just as good of home as she had.
Thanks to Janet at Tamarack Lamb and Wool for giving us the chance to give Misty a great retirement home.
It will take us some time to get used to each other, but time works wonders. So far Misty rides very well in the Jeep. I think she enjoyed her ride home. She had the whole back seat to herself. :) When we got home we had some time to stretch our legs before Oshki came home. Oshki (the lab) of course wants to play hard with everyone, but Misty wouldnt have any of it.
Even tho Misty had spent most of her time outside, she is liking the life of being an indoor dog too. Tomorrow she will have to spend the day outside as I have to work for a few hours. Im sure she will spend the time sunning herself in the warm winter sun.
We have gone on a couple walks and she does well. She goes off for a bit, then after 200 feet or so, comes back with a smile on her face as she jumps up to my hand with a look that says 'am I dont OK?' I tell her she is a good girl! and we walk more. She is a careful dog. almost as if she knows she cant pound on me.
I did take her in with the sheep yesterday. I was more interested in what my sheep would do. I sent Misty to 'come bye' and the sheep moved one way (shock). There are alot of obstacles in the pen, and it was ok until the sheep started for their shed. I thought maybe Misty could bring them back, so sent her and all I accomplised in doing was helping the sheep faster into their lean-to. I called her off and left the sheep be. It was pretty close to what I would call the sheep 'freeked' out! No harm was done. I know it doesnt help that there are a couple of ewes in there that are pretty flighty.
We are expecting lambs soon here at Double Barrel. There are 3 ewes that are due soon. I suppose since Im going back to work, then its going to be one of them =-/ Daisy is as big as a house again, so Im expecting Triplets. I think Spud (our State Fair attendee) is carrying twins again. Bob probly is as well, but she is a longer gal than Spud so she might have triplets, too.
All I can do is wait and take pics. =-)

No comments:

Post a Comment